Monday, January 18, 2010

Grilled Delight



When going to a BBQ its always hard to decide on a salad to take, or maybe I'm the only person with that problem.

Anyway, I've invented a new favourite which is just perfect for this purpose.  The main ingredients are grilled eggplant and zucchini which I did in my griddle pan so that they get a smoky flavour which matches BBQ meats very well.

By the way I have to say I absolutely love my griddle pan it is a great addition to any kitchen.


Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini  Salad with Feta 

Ingredients:

3 small to medium sized eggplants
1 small zucchini (I used a round one from the Farmer's Market)
1 large mild red chilli, diced
100 gms of Dodoni feta cheese
1/4 of a ripe, juicy lime
coriander leaves
very small amount of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Brush griddle pan with a small amount of olive oil.  Place on the heat to come to temperature slowly.  The pan should get to HOT temperature.  Sorry I know that's not a technical term but you know what I mean - smokin'!

Slice eggplants and zucchini into 1 cm thick slices and season to taste.  Place on the griddle pan in batches and cook until moist and tender with char lines where its touched the griddle.  Taste the eggplant to be sure its cooked properly as it can taste a little funny/soapy if not cooked enough.  When each batch of vegetable is cooked, place on a plate and set aside.

Once all the vegetables are char grilled layer them neatly on a serving plate, add coriander leaves, crumble the feta over the top, scatter the chilli over and add a squeeze lime juice all over.

Serve at room temperature.

No comments: