Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Toasted Muesli


I recently made a considerably healthier version of toasted muesli compared to most of the commercially produced versions. I love toasted muesli and so I decided I would make my own so I could indulge in a bowl every now and then as a treat.

I've provided some measurements in this recipe but it really was just a case of adding things until I thought the proportions were right. So several of the ingredients below I've said to add 'to taste'. It makes for a fun recipe that you can make according to your own desires.

Ingredients:

4 cups premium rolled oats (not the instant variety)
2 cups of rolled barley
200 gms macadamias
300 gms dried cranberries (sweetened in apple juice)
sesame seeds, to taste
sunflower seeds, to taste
1 - 2 tsps ground nutmeg, or to taste
2 tsps ground cinnamon, or to taste
1/4 cup of honey
a splash of concentrated pear juice
1 tb of grape seed oil
a sprinkle of Murray river salt flakes

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 C. Use a shallow silicon baking tray or line a baking tray with baking paper.

Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together thoroughly. Add wet ingredients together in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Finish mixing with hands to ensure its all worked through thoroughly.

Spoon mixture into baking tray and spread evenly over the bottom. Bake in oven for about 40 - 50 minutes, flipping and turning the mixture every 10 minutes or so until golden brown. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.

Serving suggestion - combine with sheep's milk yoghurt and sliced banana for a decadent breakfast or simply add your favourite milk.

No comments: